Lisbon, June 19 (RHC)-- The number of people killed in the forest fires raging in central Portugal has risen to 62, with 54 others injured, State Secretary of Internal Affairs Ministry Jorge Gomes said Sunday.
Gomes told reporters that among the dead, two are victims of a road accident, while four of the injured are in serious condition. The Portuguese government has declared a state of emergency in the fire area, and also a three-day national mourning from Sunday to Tuesday.
The fires broke out Saturday in Pedrogao Grande, some 150 km northeast of Lisbon, and quickly spread to the towns of Figueird dos Vinhos and Castanheira de Pera in the district of Leiria, where firefighters are still battling the fire.
The huge fires had been caused by dry lightning, Almeida Rodrigues, director of the Portuguese criminal investigation police (PJ), told reporters. A dry thunderstorm is a storm with thunder and lightning, with most or all the rain evaporating before reaching the ground.
Death Toll in Portugal Forest Fires Rises to 62

Related Articles
Commentaries
MAKE A COMMENT
All fields requiredMore Views
- Cuban delegation calls on rich countries at ECLAC to fulfill development aid
- New York doctor fired for rejecting Zionist propaganda, defending resistance
- Cubans to take part in Panamerican Junior Judo Cup
- Russian minister says BRICS to establish digital payment system for members
- Ibero-American Criminal Sciences event comes to a close in Cuba