United Nations, October 14 (RHC)-- The United Nations General Assembly has approved by acclamation Portugal’s former prime minister, Antonio Guterres, as the world body’s ninth secretary general.
Guterres was appointed by the 193-member UN assembly to succeed Ban Ki-moon of South Korea on Thursday. The 67-year-old will take up the position on January 1, 2017, for a five-year term.
“He is a wonderful choice to steer this Organization as we build on the progress of the past decade, while addressing the insecurity and uncertainties of today's world,” said Ban Ki-moon.
Speaking at the General Assembly following his appointment, the veteran Portuguese politician vowed to act as an “honest broker.” The newly-appointed UN head said: “We must make sure that we are able to break this alliance between all those terrorist groups or violent extremists on one side and the expressions of populism and xenophobia on the other side.”
Last week, the UN Security Council forwarded Guterres’ name to Peter Thomson, the General Assembly president, to get consensus of opinion from the 193-member body.
Antonio Guterres Chosen to Succeed Ban Ki-moon as UN Secretary General

Articles en relation
Commentaires
Laissez un commentaire
Tous les champs sont requis
En reproduction maintenant
Desde Mi Habana
Au suivant
- Cartas a la Redacción
- Cancionero Iberoamericano
- Mundo 7
Plus de visites
- Le blocus américain condamné lors d'une réunion de Cubains au Panama
- Cuba exige la fin du génocide et réaffirment leur solidarité avec la Palestine
- Cuba ratifie son engagement en faveur du désarmement nucléaire et de l'interdiction complète et effective des essais nucléaires
- Yo Sí Puedo (Moi, oui, je peux) contribue à l'alphabétisation de milliers de Honduriens
- Une délégation cubaine à la CEPALC demande aux pays riches de respecter l'aide au développement (+Photo)