Manila, February 8 (RHC)-- Thousands of people have been displaced after a huge fire ripped through a crowded shantytown in the Philippine capital, Manila. The incident happened on Tuesday night when the blaze, which raged for several hours, destroyed 1,000 homes in the Parola Compound in the Tondo district of Manila.
The fire, which likely started due to a faulty power line, forced some 15,000 residents to flee their homes. Fire authorities said the flames spread very quickly as many houses in the area are made of light materials, making them highly flammable. A number of people suffered injuries in the incident.
Firefighters managed to put out the fire on Wednesday morning. A social welfare officer said three evacuation centers have been opened to house the 3,000 families, who lost their homes, and provide them with food and water.
Ignoring safety regulations often leads to huge and sometimes deadly fires at slums, markets and factories in the Philippines. Last week, a huge factory caught fire in the Philippine capital, leaving more than 100 workers injured. In 2015, over 70 people were killed when a fire hit a rubber slipper factory in a northern Manila suburb.
Thousands Displaced as Huge Fire Hits Shantytown in Philippines

Articles en relation
Commentaires
Laissez un commentaire
Tous les champs sont requis
En reproduction maintenant
Sonido Cubano
Au suivant
- El Caribe que nos une
- Desde Mi Habana
- Cartas a la Redacción
Plus de visites
- Le blocus américain condamné lors d'une réunion de Cubains au Panama
- Cuba exige la fin du génocide et réaffirment leur solidarité avec la Palestine
- Cuba ratifie son engagement en faveur du désarmement nucléaire et de l'interdiction complète et effective des essais nucléaires
- Yo Sí Puedo (Moi, oui, je peux) contribue à l'alphabétisation de milliers de Honduriens
- Le Fonds pour le développement et la durabilité des transports intègre les autobus dans les services urbains